People want to know how to write a book. It’s a valid question. Learning how to write a book can be very useful. Books are the new bands. We’re all writing books, just like we all used to be in a band. But people never ask how NOT to write a book. I want to offer that one for you.
How NOT to Write a Book
- Worry about the title.
- Think about finding a publisher.
- Ask your friends who’ve written books about their agents/publishers.
- Research topics endlessly.
- Update Facebook.
- Talk about the book you’ll write.
- Buy a new Moleskine just for the book.
- Research writing software, in case you’re faster on the keyboard.
- Decide how big the book should be.
If you just did those 10 steps, in any order, to be honest, you’ll definitely not have a book any day now. Just keep at it. You’ll be amazingly well-prepared to not have a book.
How to Write a Book
- Write until you’re done.
- Edit a bit.
- Find a buyer.
- Sell it.
- Sell it more.
It’s 1/2 as many steps to write a book than it is to not write one. Are you lazy? Then write a book. It takes half the effort of not writing a book.
Photo credit accent on eclectic