There are lots of people complaining about this and that with regards to Facebook. Jeff Pulver points out that if you don’t like Facebook, make apps to fix it. I liked the premise. Jeremiah Owyang points out that Facebook holds onto your data and won’t let go. He’s right. And that’s NOT very Web 2.0, is it?
So, how would *I* rebuild Facebook, or do something different, based on what they did well:
- Build a platform with an open API with clean design – just like Facebook.
- Make the invitation process 2 clicks max and account for various relationship types – not like Facebook, but fixable.
- Encourage 3rd party app building, and viral takeoff of such – just like Facebook.
- Build a reputation engine (who knows me that you know that should vouch?) – not exactly like Facebook.
- Put RSS and porting options on EVERY module within the platform – COMPLETE opposite of Facebook. (I think I can get the status off there and that’s all, right?)
- Surrender STATUS and give it to Twitter/Pownce/Jaiku – Facebook is holding on to this one.
- Encourage edge applications like widgets and free data out to the network. – COMPLETE opposite of Facebook, barring a few kludge hacks.
It’s pretty close, and yet, the difference is SIGNIFICANT. Several smart folks have realized that Facebook is the new old-AOL. Walled garden stuff. That has to change, because right now we’re all in love, but should there be a falling out of some kind, the rats leaving the ship will be a pretty quick move. Don’t you think?
So, what would YOU do if you owned Facebook?