I’ve come to realize that one big challenge we have is that we have to tell the world how we help them, and we have to do it often. Only, we have to do it in a way that makes it about our buyers and not us. If you’re like me, you quite often have a song stuck in your head. In some ways, I think we should be this way with our customers. As long as we’re not an annoying song.
Sing the HELL out of Your Song
People don’t know what you offer. Or they forget what you offer. Or they’re so busy that they might need the reminder a bit more often because then one of those times might be the “right” time.
Songs become hits because of replay. Endless replay. Think of the most popular songs in the world. You’ve heard them hundreds of times.
(Note that I said “popular” and not “the best” and not “your favorite.”)
But the Song Has to Be For Them
For every “Let it Be,” there’s a “Gangnam Style.” Neither is right or wrong. One might have some lyrical value to you. The other might be tied to a memory. In both cases, the song becomes the property of the listener, kinda/sorta. It’s something they’ve taken over as part of their world, their fabric.
If you don’t make it about them, the song will probably have a lot shorter mental shelf life. That’s why songs about how rich you are and how amazing you are can hit, but then usually fall into the mental bushes.
Oddly enough, this made me think of Elton John’s “Your Song.” Not a huge fan of the song, but it surely is a song that people own.
A Few Tips for Singing Your Song
- Imagine the bigger world your song occupies. People need to see beyond what you’re selling into the context of where you exist in their larger life.
- If you start with “your,” people get there faster. Yeti coolers said “YOUR leakproof carry-the-day cooler.” Jobs said “Fit 1000 songs in YOUR pocket.”
- Solve a problem in your “song.” At Owner Media Group, we provide “skills for the modern business.” The word “skills” cues you in that we sell education.
- Keep it brief. Whatever it is you want the world to know and remember about you has to be easy to take with it.
- Make it theirs to own. Give your ideas handles so people can pick them up and own it through and through.
Was This Helpful?
I’m asking you because my newsletter offers ideas like this all the time. If you’re not yet subscribed, sign up here. Heck, you can unsubscribe whenever it no longer suits you. 🙂
I promise I’ll help with your own storylines and songs, though. I think that helps you earn the right to sell and serve better. You?