I was talking with a Flickr friend, and she mentioned one of those “Things to do before I die” lists. I said, if you really want to give it some meaning, come up with things you want to do for 2007. Of course, why would I issue that kind of challenge without taking it for myself. So, here are 12 things I want to see happen in 2007 personally/professionally:
12 Targets for 2007
- See My Direct Result on Growing my Business– I work for a guy who’s into the long term, and who believes in investments over direct and obvious ROI, but for myself, I’m interested in seeing how I can bring business back to my company- through money, relationships, partnerships. I hope to show tangible proof that hiring me was a good idea.
- Visit Europe– Until last year, I probably hit no more than seven cities in my life, and Canada and Bermuda were the extent of my non-US travel. In 2007, I will visit Stockholm, Tel-Aviv, and probably somewhere else- Amsterdam?
- Write a Non-Fiction Book– I plan to write about what I’ve learned over the last 12 months. I’m leaning towards writing a book about community development, but however the storyline turns out, it will be about new media, social interactions, and new ways of doing business.
- Write a Fiction Book– Back in the day, I wrote a LOT of fiction. I want to get this handled, as I never really did finish a larger work. So this will be the year. I’m just debating if it’ll be genre fiction or something a little more mainstream.
- See A Friend’s Business Succeed– I have so many friends in this space struggling and trying to make it. I offer help and advice where I can, and I’m hoping this year is where someone I’ve worked with in some manner gets their due for their hard work. (Obviously, I don’t have much control over this one, but it speaks to my belief in what so many of my friends are doing).
- Learn about Digital SLR Cameras– I’ll be getting a Nikon D70s fairly shortly. I’ve used point-and-shoot cameras forever. I hope to make good use of this new rig, so I’ll have to learn.
- Tackle Final Cut– I’m going to move up from iMovie this year. I have to, because I know I’m leaving behind some stronger editing options by just using iMovie, so this year, I’ll bite the bullet and give it a go.
- Produce USEFUL Media– Small Boxes is my videoblog, and I do it for my own fun, and to give friends a view into my life. But I think I want to do something a bit more meaningful with it, something that’s of value to more than just friends and family. So I’ll see how I can make that happen.
- Recommit to Fitness and Health– I bought my book yesterday, and I started the groundwork for this. It’s not supposed to be a game of numbers, but for a measure, I’ll pick pounds lost, as well as days of the week I exercise. Anything else will be over and above. I had a great run of this in 2004. I think I can get it all back this year. Who knows? Maybe I’ll start recording “Fat Guy Gets Fit” again and threading it into the Health Hacks Podcast.
- Fix Some Financial Bumps– I’ve got some old wounds to clear up, and I’m using 2007 as the gauntlet year to get it done. I feel we’re closer than ever to get over the hump. We’ll see. This will bring so much extra peace to my life. If this one bit works out, I’m going to feel accomplished.
- Work with Chris and Bryan and Steve on PodCamp Boston2– We’re aiming to make PodCamp Boston 2 a LANDMARK experience, with all kinds of useful information, engaging collaboration, and productive future-building. One reason I know this will be a killer experience is that everything else I’m doing inter-relates to this. Building Video on the Net with a talented team is teaching me things about PodCamp, and what I took from PodCamp went right into Video. Make My Own TV in March will help me understand more of what we can do at PodCamp as well. It will all work well together, and I know that this PodCamp will be the one to remember. (Of course, I hope to say that every year!)
- Continue to Keep My Family Happy– It’s hard to believe, but now that I travel extensively, and now that I’m working harder than ever on something I’m passionate about, I’ve actually had a BETTER relationship with my family. Well, it’s true, and I’m working on making 2007 a banner year for my wife and children. We’ll really grow stronger this year, as we’re planning out our lives a little more lately. We’re thinking about the way we’re living life, instead of letting it just live us. That’s making a great difference in how we get things done.
And so those are my targets. I now have to set about breaking them chunks that are more “to scale” with how my brain thinks. I’ll build them into small boxes, tie those boxes to weeks within months within years, and in that way, I’ll see that journey reduced to steps. I’ll move forward and see how many bells I can ring.
What about you? What do you want to see happen in 2007?