For those of you already pretty much deep into social media applications, skip ahead and blaze through the list. If I’ve found five sites/applications that you haven’t seen or considered, leave a comment and give me a point. For the rest of you, here’s a list I put together the other day when thinking about just how much of my computer use is spent online and attached to the web. Some of the applications I point out aren’t things I use currently, but I have used them, and/or have an account there.
For those of you who are getting involved in social media a little bit at a time, consider this a list of things you might check out a little bit at a time to see what appeals, what fits into your workflow, and what you can dismiss as unnecessary for your needs.
AND, if you have some resources you think would be good to add to the list, feel free to add them in the comments section.
- Blogger – free blogging and hosting.
- Movable Type – paid software, needs host.
- TypePad – paid blogging and hosting.
- WordPress.com – free blogging and hosting.
- WordPress.org – free blog software, needs host.
- Tumblr – free blogging and hosting.
- BrightKite – microblogging, mobile, location.
- FriendFeed – microblogging/ aggregator.
- Identi.ca – open source microblogging.
- Jaiku – microblogging, mobile too.
- Posterous – microblogging, and/or sends to other sites.
- Pownce – microblogging and file sharing.
- Plurk – microblogging and threaded conversations.
- Seesmic – video microblogging.
- Twitter – microblogging and mobile.
- Utterz – microblogging, mobile, video.
- Delicious – bookmarking.
- Ma.gnolia – enhanced bookmarking.
- Sphinn – bookmarking/voting.
- StumbleUpon – bookmarking and browsing.
Social News Sites
- Digg – social news.
- Mixx – social news.
- Reddit – social news.
- Facebook – general networking.
- Flickr – photo and video sharing.
- Last.fm – music sharing.
- LibraryThing – book lovers.
- LinkedIn – professional social networking.
- MySpace – general networking.
- Ning – white label social network.
- Pandora – music sharing.
- Yelp – rating restaurants and businesses.
Miscellaneous and Useful
- Twitter Search (formerly Summize) – search for what matters to YOU.
- Picnik – free online photo editing. Good for avatar pic touchups.
- Evernote – online and desktop note syncing/storage.
- Upcoming.org – event sharing site (great for finding cool conferences).
- Netvibes – web start page (has Ginger social features now, too).
- Twingly – blog search.
- Compete – web ranking analysis.
- AideRSS – rates your blog posts.
- Skitch – screen capture tool (mac).
- Blip.tv – video hosting, sharing.
- Google Video – video hosting, sharing.
- Viddler – video hosting, sharing.
- Vimeo – video hosting, sharing.
- YouTube – video hosting, sharing.
- Mogulus – live video platform.
- uStream.tv – live video platform.
- BlogTV – live video platform.
- ooVoo – live video chat.
Photo credit, klynsis
Related articles by Zemanta
- If You Eat All the Social Networking Candy, You’re Going to Get Sick!
- Location-Based Social Networking to Generate $3.3 Billion by 2013?
- Which Blog Platform Do You Use?