My Twitter friend, Dominick Evans tagged me in this post, which is a “5 things” meme. Essentially: tell people five things about you they may not know. I haven’t really been responding to tag games like this (just don’t have the time), but I wanted to respond to Dominick. Why? Because he’s been very active in engaging me back and forth on Twitter, and because Dominick is really putting his heart into understanding social media. And if you didn’t even bother reading the post, I’d recommend instead checking out Dominick’s blog and following him on Twitter.
The real goal of 5 Things blog posts is to help people find new connections. With that in mind, here’s a new 5 Things You Might Not Know About Me (the sales edition):
- I’ve been a superhero fan since five years of age. My grandfather, a candy salesman, used to take me along on his beat to meet customers. He was the easygoing kind of salesman. He never pushed, and always made more than his quota. I improved my reading skills at an early age poring over Batman, Spider-Man, and a lot of other comics. I still pick up the occasional comic book. Batman is my favorite, though I don’t read him regularly.
- I tried selling cars. I lasted exactly one week. I couldn’t handle the whole fake “ask the manager” thing, and the “sell them the most car you can, even if they can’t afford it” thing. I was 18, and could’ve cared less.
- I tried selling water purification systems. I lasted exactly two weeks. I had this huge book with a script in it, and I had to read directly from the book, so I’d go to people’s houses who’d answered some phone call, and I’d sit on their table, and read to them about water systems, and neither of us were all that interested in being there. All three places I was sent smelled a bit like pee.
- The last five cars I’ve purchased are Saturns. The reason? There’s no negotiation. The price is the price. I go in there, find the car I want, and buy it. Why don’t other car companies adopt this? Not sure, but I’m pretty happy with Saturn. Their sales folks are more like helpers than wheeler-dealers.
- I can sell the heck out of books. I’m an avid reader, and I can talk passionately about books, even if I’ve never read a certain title. I usually know about the reviews, the space where it competes, and about the buyer. For several holiday seasons, I used to sell in a little independent bookstore in northern Massachusetts, and was paid only in books for my work.
That’s how meme games work. You come up with an idea, share your payload, and then pass it on. Here’s where I’m supposed to pass it on and spread the love with others, and then they’ll write a post, that has a link to mine, and etc, etc.
Instead of passing on that I tagged you, how about giving all the love to Dominick instead?
Tags go to: Jon Swanson, Becky McCray, Britt Raybould, Megin, and Glenda Watson Hyatt. Remember, pass on the love to Dominick. : )