I’m sitting at the airport in San Diego after speaking at Social Media Marketing World, one of two events with “social” in the name that I actually like. It’s not that I like the event. I like the people. I like who I get to talk with here. It’s a wild kind of “just for us” experience where I get to talk with people I really appreciate and admire. Lots of them. Thinking about this had me thinking about my success.
The Secrets of My Success
Here’s a sampling of the people I spoke with today:
- A ninja (no, a real one). He’s also a friend I admire.
- An actor and voice talent and his friend, also a voice talent who turns out to be a telephony nerd (I used to work in telephony).
- Someone helping people with cerebral palsy.
- Four different people suffering depression (who thanked me for posting and talking about mine).
- A pool guy turned marketing genius.
- A guy whose wife asked for a divorce.
- An almost-done-with-his-book author.
- The owner of SUCCESS Magazine (I’ve written there and love the brand).
- My ambassador friend.
- A welsh comic and business maker.
- A newly married power couple using their acting backgrounds to mint new speaking stars.
- A Hamilton-the-Musical mega fan and fitness wizard.
- A business partner who treats my customers like his best friends.
- Lewis and Gary and briefly Guy.
- Not Pat Flynn because we seemed doomed to never talk.
- Joel and John and John and Mitch and other Mitch and Mari and all the “names.”
- Several hundred great people I just met.
That’s one secret of my success. All of those conversations were important to me. Each of them.
Another secret? I spent as much time as I could talking with these people. And I talked with Jacq (who wasn’t here, but I talked with her in her day).
Another secret? I spoke today about revenue. About how it’s important to help other people make it. And then you’ll make yours.
Another secret? There are no secrets. It’s about hard work, silly. And it’s about service. And it’s about failing.
My last secret: I dared to do something really risky and spoke today entirely without notes and slides and I managed to “land the plane.”
And I’m launching a daily blog that’ll be hidden away for just the Insiders and that’s a secret. And I’m probably doing other secret things.
But I also made it NOT a secret that if I ever shot a #dailyvee like Gary, it would show me hanging out in my underpants shooting virtual people in a video game and me going to the gym, and me figuring out ways to make people money, and me eating meat and vegetables and drinking fizzy water and coffee, and it’d be much more boring than Gary’s show because he does all these things, and I mostly hang out and work at a different angle.
And I love all of it. And you.
My secrets. All for you. Free!